In the early 1930s, Colonel J. Gordon
Thompson purchased a 100-acre farm three miles north
of London and conceived the idea of turning it into
a golf course.
Sunningdale Golf and Country Club quickly
became one of the cityís most prestigious Clubs.
As the course expanded from 9 holes to 36, Thompson
bought up surrounding land along the beautiful Medway
River valley. Today, Sunningdale's two 18-hole
courses are complete (Stanley Thompson designed course,
1934; Robbie Robinson designed course, 1962 - both reinstated
by Doug Carrick, 2002), but much of the adjacent land
remains open. The spectacular setting is just
minutes from the Masonville Place and the Hyde Park
Commercial areas, and a short drive from downtown London.
Under the guidance of Colonel Thompsonís
grandson, Gordon R. Thompson, Corlon Properties Inc.
a land development company, has begun a long-term venture
focusing on development of those acquired 400 acres
surrounding the Medway Valley and Sunningdale Golf &
Country Club. Over the coming years, Corlon plans
to coordinate The Neighbourhoods of Sunningdale
as a thoughtful and orderly development, with a primary
focus on upscale custom homes.
The first phase of development began
building in the summer of 2001. Interest and demand
for lots was high, resulting in the opening of a second
stage in the fall of 2002. In the spring of 2003,
a third stage was opened surrounding a special school
campus and park area, where a Catholic elementary school,
St Catherine of Siena, opened in the fall of 2004.
Subsequent phases have been sold quickly and lots in
Sunningdale West were released in 2008.
[ OVERVIEW | MISSION ]